Friday, September 2, 2016

Printing Through History

Today in class we had a really educational lecture. We're starting a new "series", I guess you could say. It's all about different forms of media, and how they've improved and changed over time. We started the series by discussing print journalism. We made a timeline of how print has occurred through the years, and how it effected the world around us. We learned about how printing goes as far back as 3500 B.C,, and it was really interesting overall.

As we created the timeline, Mr. Miller took us back through history and described the way that printing has developed through the centuries. I never knew how far back printing went, but now I can appreciate the complexity that they had to go through back then, and I am definitely more appreciative of the technology we had today. 

Printing had a huge effect on Journalism, it basically created it! Without print, journalism wouldn't have been existent for the time being. We talked about Martin Luther and how print journalism affected the protestant reformation and I found that really interesting. We've all heard the story, but a lot of us didn't know the big effect that the new printing technology (metal printing press) had on the world. Not only did it lead the protestant reformation, but increased book production which increased literacy, but it also spread ideas of revolution and helped us document history!

This was definitely a very interesting and educational lecture, and I'm definitely glad I was there to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment