Response: Wave 3 - Further Than Chemotherapy
While scrolling through the news section of Wave 3's site, I came across a very interesting story - one that is uplifting and an encouragement to people across the world. The story detailed one patient to explain how cancer is being treated for some. Clinical trials may be the next step and a breakthrough we've all been looking for.
Anytime a new way of treating cancer is seen as successful, it is a big deal - to me at least. While I've never known anyone personally with cancer, I can imagine the heartache to those who have. This story definitely proves that the money so many give every year is not going to waste. What this has made me realize is that when we think there's no hope, we're almost always wrong.
This medicine is really cool. In the article, one of the doctors says that it is like chemo - but has no side effects. The fact that people can take medicine and not have to deal with the side effects of hair loss, etc on top of cancer they already have is absolutely amazing. I am able to see that while we have not found a cure for cancer, we are making the treatments a whole lot better.
In an uplifting and hopeful story such as this, it really points out how pessimistic we can be. After taking this medicine, her most recent CT scan has come up clean - I find that incredible. I am really surprised it took us this long to find something that worked. While I'm sure it won't work for everyone, the increase in options to treat cancer will hopefully decrease the number of patients with it. I am very happy to see how far we have come with cancer research, and one day, I am expectant to see a cure.
No comments:
Post a Comment